The United Arab Emirates has been through a tremendous change in the past few decades which is eminent. This is a modern country with class-apart infrastructure and hosts millions of tourists every year. If you’re planning to visit the UAE, here is a brief introduction to the country and its seven emirates:
1. UAE is divided into seven emirates – Abu Dhabi (capital), Ajman, Dubai, Fujairah, Sharjah, Ras al-Khaimah, Umm al-Quwain. Arabic is the official language in all the emirates.
2. UAE is going to host the World Expo 2020. The central event for global economic and cultural gathering will be held in Dubai.
3. Dubai is also known as the City of Gold, as it houses the Gold Souk which is the largest market for gold and jewelry, and the city also has ATMs that dispense gold bars.
4. Dubai doesn’t experience extreme winters and has only hot and warm temperatures throughout the year. Best time to visit is September-October.
5. Dubai gets the maximum number of tourists among all the Emirates. This is the best place for vacation and also hosts a month-long shopping festival every year in Dec-Jan.
6. UAE has a well-developed road network and has more than 40 airports. The biggest and the busiest airport here is the Dubai International Airport.
7. Ajman is the smallest emirate in UAE. It is a beautiful place with white sand beaches and is full of museums and locations with historical importance.
8. Sharjah is considered as the cultural capital of the Arab World. The third largest emirate has land on both the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman.
9. Abu Dhabi (the capital emirate) has a 700 km long coastline and covers almost 85% of the country. Abu Dhabi has the maximum part of the nation’s oil reserve.
10. Fujairah is the only emirate out of the seven whose maximum region is mountainous, the most prominent being the Hajjar Mountains.
11. Dubai houses the tallest building in the world, Burj Khalifa, which is 2722 feet tall and has 211 floors.
12. Umm al-Quwain is the least populated emirate out of the seven. It is most popular for its sunny weather and the fishing industry.
13. Ras al-Khaimah gets the most rainfall in UAE and is the most fertile emirate. It is a trade-free zone and is also close to the Hajjar Mountains.
14. Dubai has no street names, addresses, zip codes or anything. People travel according to landmarks and send posts to PO boxes.
15. Dubai also has the largest man-made island in the world, the Palm Islands. It consists of hotels and resorts as well.
16. The majority of the people living in UAE are foreigners. The current percentage of expats in UAE is around 87%.
17. Petrol in the UAE is very cheap. Because of the abundance of oil and the being one of the major oil exporters, the prices are very low.
18. Tourism is one of the biggest money-making industries in UAE, with over 13 million visitors every year and increasing.
19. Masdar City in Abu Dhabi is the world’s first carbon-free, zero-waste and car-less city. The city uses solar power as the major source.
20. UAE welcomes all religions and has places of worship for every faith in all the seven emirates.